BatSoft is sole trader consultancy (ABN: 50 392 093 218) that does software analysis, architecture and development for computers and mobile devices. My specialties are software analysis and advanced OO architecture. I develop primarily using Delphi, Unity C# and SQL.
I couple of years ago I did a two year TAFE course on game development. Geez, that’s so much more fun than I expected.
My work experiences span from 1995 and range from Australia, Sweden and Taiwan. I am generally the architect, sometimes a mentor for colleagues, and always prefer to solve the more challenging projects. I have worked in all stages of software development and prefer working in a team.
In my experience it seems that all problems (even complex real world problems) boil down to a handful of simple rules that, when combined, give rise to what appears to be complex behaviour. The hard part is finding those core rules.
My method is to begin with investing time in properly understanding client needs and finding those core rules, then architecting a solution. After that I need relatively little time writing and testing, because simple rules translate to simple code. I can’t recall ever missing a deadline when I’ve been allowed to work in this way, though I have missed deadlines when rushed. In my experience, shortcuts cost more time to work around, even in initial development. And… I like my code to always be tidy and fairly well commented, usually with design diagrams serving as documentation.
- Can I do web? Not really. I’d prefer that you spend your money on a web developer.
- Can I design databases? Yes, I certainly can.
- Am I an expert in XYZ library? Probably not. I don’t specialise in knowing tech. I specialised in architecting solutions.
- Am I an expert in any particular domain? No, I specialised in business analysis.
- Do I understand client needs? Yes! That is one of my fortés.
- Can I solve hard architectural problems? Yes! That is another forté.
- Can I design good UI’s? I think my UI’s are fine, but most clients find them ugly.
- Can I teach OO? Yep, from the very basics to advanced patterns in hours. I have my own teaching method.